From our correspondent
KARACHI: As was expected the International Cricket Council (ICC) on Monday (today) postponed the World T20 Cricket Championship due to Covid-19 pandemic.
The decision was taken by the ICC Board during a virtual meeting. “The decision gives us the best possible opportunity of delivering two safe and successful T20 World Cups,” ICC chief executive Manu Sawhney said. “Our members now have the clarity they need around event windows to enable them to reschedule lost bilateral and domestic cricket.” He said.
Australia”s Melbourne is under six-week lockdown from the first week of July with all its borders completely sealed. However it was not confirmed whether Australia would host the 2021 World Cup which as per schedule India is going to host or it will hold the global event in 2022.
It was also decided that the men’s 50-over World Cup which India is scheduled to host in February-March 2023 would be moved to October-November the same year.
This will give all cricket playing nations to focus on their bilateral series and domestic cricket which also have been hit hard by the global pandemic. The ICC will also monitor the situation of New Zealand which is set to host the 2021 Women World Cup in February.
Following a massive blow to cricket due to pandemic eventually England took a major step to resume cricket by hosting series against the West Indies currently underway and will be pitted latter against Pakistan who have been practicing on English soil for the last three weeks.
Australia, knowing that the T20 World Cup would be postponed, had already announced a 26-member squad for the white ball series against England in September.