From our correspondent
KARACHI: England’s batsman Alex Hales, who had withdrawn from the remaining action of the HBL PSL 2020 last week due to fears of coronavirus, has confirmed that he is in ‘self-isolation’ after developing ‘fever’ following his return from Pakistan.
“I returned to the UK in the early hours of Saturday morning feeling perfectly fit and healthy and with absolutely no symptoms of the virus. However, I awoke early on Sunday morning having developed a fever and followed the government’s advice of self-isolation, a process I am obviously still following having developed a dry and persistent cough,” Hales said.
“At this stage, it has not been possible to be tested although I am hopeful that might be the case later today (Tuesday) so that I can get absolute confirmation of my current health status.”
Earlier he said: “In the light of the speculation and rumour that is currently circulating within the cricket world and on social media, I felt I needed to give a full explanation of my situation,” Hales said.
“Like many other overseas players, I reluctantly left the Pakistan Super League early because, with COVID-19 reaching global pandemic status, I felt it was more important to be with my family rather than face a period of lockdown thousands of miles from home.”
The Guardian reported that Hales spent Saturday socialising with Tom Curran after returning from Pakistan, but that Curran is not one of the six Surrey players confirmed by the club to be in self-isolation on Monday.
Hales represented Karachi Kings in Pakistan’s marquee cricket event which had reached semi-finals stage.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Tuesday postponed the PSL 2020 knock-out stage matches indefinitely after a player had shown symptoms of the virus. “We cannot reveal the identity of that player,” the PCB Chief Executive Waseem Khan said on Tuesday.
In the meanwhile some media reports emerged that Hales has developed cornoavirus symptoms.
Former Test cricketer Ramiz Raja’s comment that “Alex Hales has developed symptoms” ignited the issue. However Hales clarified his situation.
Besides Hales the other overseas players who had decided to withdraw from the PSL remaining action last week included Rilee Rossouw and James Vince (Multan Sultans), Tom Banton, Carlos Brathwaite, Liam Dawson, James Foster (coach), Lewis Gregory and Liam Livingstone (Peshawar Zalmi), Jason Roy and Tymal Mills (Quetta Gladiators), Colin Munro, Dale Steyn, Dawid Malan, Luke Ronchi and trainer Corey Rutgers (all Islamabad United).
Players, officials, commentators and TV crew working on the PSL production have all been tested for Covid-19.
In the PSL semi-finals which were scheduled to be held at Lahore on Tuesday but were postponed Multan Sultans were set to take on Peshawar Zalmi and Karachi Kings were preparing to meet Lahore Qalandars at Gaddafi Stadium.
The final had been scheduled for March 18.